Tequila 101: Mixto Tequila vs. 100% Agave Tequila

Oct 29, 2021

Many of us have bad memories of a night with too much tequila. Those harsh nights were due to an inferior quality tequila, the mixto tequila. The right tequila is actually a really clean way to drink. Whether you prefer drinking it neat or in a cocktail, the key is to choose 100% agave tequila. We are going to break down the difference between mixto tequilas and 100% agave tequilas. 

Where is tequila from?

Tequila is made from the Blue Weber agave plant which is a desert plant native to Mexico.  There are many variations of the agave plant, but tequila can only be made from the Blue Weber varietal.  There is an appellation of origin for tequila which means that tequila can only be made in certain regions of Mexico.  These areas are Jalisco and parts of the surrounding states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas.  It’s similar to how champagne can only originate from Champagne, France.

Mixto Tequila: What Is It?

As the name suggests, “mixto” is a mix of tequila from agave plants and other sugars.  Mixtos are labeled tequila, but they are only required to contain 51% agave sugars.  The remaining 49% of the liquid can be made from other sugars, such as cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup.  In addition, mixto tequilas often contain additional colors, flavors or thickeners. These mixtures are much less expensive to produce, but they lack the smooth and complex taste profiles of true 100% agave tequilas.  

Basically, if you are using a tequila that just says “Tequila” on the label and not 100% agave tequila, you don’t really know what is in it.  Those extra ingredients are what cause the harsh after effects.

Why 100% Agave Tequila is Superior

Tequilas that are 100% agave tequilas are only made from Blue Weber agave sugars.  They are not watered down, so the purity of the agave plant shines through.  You can taste and smell the difference.  The taste is much more complex. You can identify so many different aromas in 100% agave tequila and a wide range of flavors.  So many factors play into the taste profiles from the region that the agave is harvested from, to the rainfall levels.  This traditional and unique spirit has so much depth and history.

The lack of added sugar is precisely what makes 100% agave tequila a better  choice. Not only do you reap the benefits of no sugar or gluten, you feel clear-headed when you wake up and ready to take on the day.

Choose the Better Option

So, next time you are looking for a tequila to share with friends and family or enjoy at home, check the label and make sure it says “100% de Agave” or “100% Puro Agave”  to ensure you are drinking pure, unadulterated tequila just as it should be.

Inspiro Tequila Luna Blanco is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a clean, smooth and sippable option.   Inspiro Tequila is meticulously handcrafted in Jalisco, Mexico for mindful consumers who appreciate high quality spirits that do not contain any carbs, sugar or gluten.

Shop our tequila here.